En Espanol

How many of you have visited the government’s official public website USA.GOV? Drop in and check out the home page. There is a slide show of the top three items of interest to citizens. There is also a Spanish language version.

You might think that the information on the Spanish version would be the same as what you see in the English version.  If you think it is a translation of the English version, you would be wrong. And why isn’t there a version available in other languages?

Unlike the English version, the priority topic in the Spanish language version is how to get a Social Security Card, Medicare, and ways to obtain immigration status. Below is a snippet of the Spanish version translated into English.

A Social Security number is important because you need it to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services. Many other businesses, such as banks and credit companies, also ask for your number.

If you are a noncitizen living in the United States, you also may need a Social Security number. For more information, see Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens (Publication No. 05-10096). If you are temporarily in the United States to work, see Foreign Workers and Social Security Numbers (Publication No. 05-10107).

How do I get a number and card?

To apply for a Social Security number and card:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and show us original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency proving:

— U.S. citizenship or immigration status [including Department of Homeland Security (DHS) permission to work in the United States];

— Age; and

— Identity.

I couldn’t find the part where it says that those here illegally should return to their home country and apply for entrance through the legal process. I’m sure it’s there somewhere.